A Fransalian is a man called to be a missionary with a vision. An explorer of the unknown. A builder of communities. A sower of God’s words. An enlightened guide of his students. A formator of technicians …In the spirit of St. Francis de Sales.
To pass on gentleness to the world and to bring about the renewal of Christian life by preaching parish missions. Evangelizing people and educating the youth.
A brief History of St.John’s High School,Nagpur :-
St. John’s High School was established by the Missionaries of St. Francis de Sales towards the end of the eighteenth century.
Though it is difficult to trace the exact date on which the institution came into existence, it could undoubtedly be said that the School existed since 1880. In the initial stages of its establishment, the school was known as St. Xavier’s and housed in the Roman Catholic Cathedral compound, Kamptee Road, Nagpur. The School admitted children from all walks of life irrespective of their caste, creed or religion. The medium of instruction was Hindi as the institution was established to meet the educational needs of the ordinary native Indians.
In 1893, Fr. Patrick Wall msfs, was given the charge of managing St.Xavier’s School. During his tenure, the school was renamed as R.C. Mission School and was shifted to a newlyconstructed building in the Cathedral compound.
In the year 1912, Fr. John D’Costa was appointed Principal of R.C. Mission School. The School made remarkable progress in academics, sports and games under the leadership and guidance of Fr. John D’Costa. The first batch of 39 students appeared for SSC exam in 1916. Since it was difficult for the school to continue in the Cathedral compound due to lack of space and growing strength, Fr. John D’Costa decided to move the School to a more spacious place in Mohan Nagar, Nagpur. The School was rechristened as St. John’s and was shifted to the new building, where it now stands, since 1929.
The extension work of the building was done in 1952 while the front tower was built in 1953 and the cross and the tower clock was surmounted in 1954. St. John’s School was declared as Heritage Building for the city of Nagpur on 16th of February 2000 for its magnificent architectural design and beauty.